You should be finished your six granny squares from The Baby Poncho Tutorial ~ Part 1. Now, it's time to piece your baby poncho together, add some trim and a tassel, here we go...
1. Cut a piece of yarn in the same colour as Row 5 of your granny square, about the length of 2.5 squares and thread it through a darning needle. Begin with two squares right sides together (your first and last stitch should be in one of the 2 chains that make the corner).
2. Feed your needle through the front loops of the chains on each side, continue until the end, break off.
4. Your blocks should be sewn together in this pattern.
5. Beginning at back left shoulder seam, attach yarn with a slip stitch into third stitch from seam, chain three.
6. Decrease evenly over the next four stitches(two stitches on each side of seam).
7. Double crochet to front neck and decrease over four stitches evenly at seam.
8. Double crochet to right neck seam and repeat steps 6 & 7 until you reach beginning, slip stitch into third chain at start, chain three.
9. At shoulder seam decrease evenly over the next two stitches, continue in double crochet until two stitches before front seam.
10. Decrease evenly over four stitches at front neck.
11. Continue in double crochet and decrease two stitches at right shoulder and four stitches at back neck until you reach the beginning, slip stitch into top of chain 3 and break off yarn.
12. Now, it's time for the bottom trim...starting at back left...attach new colour with slip stitch, chain three, double crochet in top of each stitch from edge being careful at seams to make sure you are working the stitches evenly.
13. When you reach the back corner, make five double crochet into corner, continue around in double crochet until you reach the front corner and make five double crochets into that as well.
14. Continue the edge in double crochet to the beginning and join with a slip stitch into third chain of beginning, break off. The trim in DONE!
15. TASSLE TIME...finishing touches are so much fun:) Chain 60 +/- (you may decided to make your tassle shorter or longer)in the same colour as bottom edge, weave cord through every second double crochet starting at front, make sure your cord is a good length and break off.
16. To add the tassle to the cord, cut 8 pieces of yarn 5-6inches in length, using the crochet hook pull the 8 pieces of yarn through the first chain of cord to make a loop, carefully pull all ends through the loop at once(including the tail of the cord), pull tightly and trim ends straight across the bottom of the tassle. Repeat on other end of cord to make the second tassle.
17. To finish everything off weave in all the ends, block and lay flat to dry...YOU'RE DONE...go find an adorable little baby and make them look even cuter with their new poncho.
Phewf! That took a while to complete. If you are looking for a detailed baby poncho pattern I will have a PDF available soon for download. Check back soon.
Happy Poncho Making:)